Problem building GNUstep on openSUSE 10.2

From: Richard Stonehouse
Subject: Problem building GNUstep on openSUSE 10.2
Date: Tue, 13 Feb 2007 21:26:42 +0000

I'm trying to build GNUstep on openSUSE 10.2 and have hit a problem.
I wonder if anyone can throw light on it - or, alternatively, whether
anyone has successfully built GNUstep on openSUSE 10.2 and, if so,
how?

The problem is that the plmerge program fails with a buffer overflow
and dumps out a Backtrace and Memory map - sample at:
<URL:http://www.rstonehouse.co.uk/testcase/plmerge-results.txt>

The fault lies in plmerge, as built, and not with the data it is
being given. It is reproducible with a trivial test case.

In SuSE 9.3, plmerge - built from the same gnustep-base source -
works OK. The main differences between 9.3 and 10.2, that seem to be
potentially relevant, are:

  - 10.2 has gcc version 4.1.2_20061115 (I think this is a
    pre-release; Novell seem keen on living at the 'bleeding edge'),
    whereas 9.3 used 3.3.5; and

  - 10.2 has libffi (however the problem occurs irrespective of
    whether I use libffi or ffcall).

The problem is not the result of building under rpmbuild; it occurs
even if I build by the orthodox configure/make process.

Any help on this would be very welcome!

--
    Richard Stonehouse