Has anyone else ever run into this?

From: Larry Campbell
Subject: Has anyone else ever run into this?
Date: Thu, 18 Jan 2007 15:19:24 -0500

We have lots of programs written using gnustep-base (1.12.0 at the moment). These are all daemons -- no UI, Foundation only -- running on Intel-architecture boxes running linux 2.4. There are hundreds of instances of about twenty different programs on hundreds of machines, and they'll run fine for months, and then out of the blue one of them will throw an exception like this one:

Uncaught exception NSInvalidArgumentException, reason: NSException (instance) does not recognize reason

It's not always -[NSException reason] -- sometimes it's a method in one of my classes -- but it's always a method that does exist in the named class. I don't think it's some random memory sprayer, because if it were, I'd expect other funny behaviors from time to time -- segfaults, argument errors, corrupted output files, whatever, and I get none of that. It's definitely not a memory leak; process sizes remain stable for months. The only unexplained error they ever get is this one.

Not all my programs do this; only two have -- but the problem is so infrequent it might be that they're all susceptible, and only these two have been unlucky. The ones that have succumbed are running an HTTP server that I wrote, and they use multiple threads, one for each request. Also they use OpenSSL, for HTTPS support. I do provide locking methods to OpenSSL, which is otherwise not thread safe. But there's at least one other HTTPS server using the same implementation that has never died this way, so this might not be relevant.

Has anyone else ever run into anything like this?

- lc