Re: Cocotron

From: Richard Frith-Macdonald
Subject: Re: Cocotron
Date: Sun, 24 Dec 2006 12:23:57 +0000

On 24 Dec 2006, at 12:01, Helge Hess wrote:

On Dec 24, 2006, at 10:49, Matt Rice wrote:
but a large problem was the copyright assignment issue

Thats right, copyright assignment is a huge blocker. It almost forgot about this one, but it was mentioned several times now.
(BTW: in fact I have done the copyright assignment for GNUstep)

Hm, yes. Thats probably a huge issue for people coming from Cocoa. They already have a problem with just the license, and _then_ they are also supposed to assign copyright. You really need to provide a very good value in return to make that worthwhile.

I wonder if additional explanation could help ... since the FSF immediately assigns back a license to do what you like with your contributions (including licensing them to other people under any terms you like) the assignment actually costs you practically nothing, but that's not obvious to people if you just tell them they have to assign copyright.