Re: Cocotron

From: Richard Frith-Macdonald
Subject: Re: Cocotron
Date: Sun, 24 Dec 2006 07:17:34 +0000

On 24 Dec 2006, at 02:39, Gregory John Casamento wrote:

Helge,

No, I honestly don't. Maybe you lack the history / insight in the
various "similiar" projects? Did you even try to ask them why they
don't use GNUstep? :-)

No, in the case of Cocotron, I haven't. But given that Cocotron's aim seems very clear, as you pointed out in your previous email, I don't have to. They seem focused on Windows portability. Windows portability is only one part of what GNUstep is after. Imagine if he had spent some of that effort helping out the GNUstep project with Windows portability instead of re-inventing the wheel to such a great degree and, I might add, not doing it as well as we have. The list of problems I found in Cocotron in my previous email are the result of looking at it for only about 10 minutes. I'm certain that what I found only scratches the surface.

I find I must disagree somewhat here ... it's true that it's fairly clear what their technical aim is, and that GNUstep currently does it much better in many ways (though it could well be that their windows gui looks/behaves better than GNUstep's), but I don't think that explains their motivations. Probably we *do* need to ask what their motivations are. Now, asking people is notoriously unreliable (as a pollster will tell you) because they may lie to you (or even be deceiving themselves about their motivations), but it's still better than just guessing.
Why didn't they just join GNUstep and improve mswindows gui operation?