Re: GNUStepWeb

From: Peter Cooper
Subject: Re: GNUStepWeb
Date: Tue, 19 Dec 2006 19:57:47 +0100

Hi Todd

Is there a good starting point or tutorial you can recommend for GNUStepWeb?
I'm not finding that much help from gnustepweb.org

look at Apple's WO 4.5 docs.

Unfortunately their tutorials use Project Builder and it's hard to follow the same path in xcode, much less creating a proper makefile for GNUStep. Everything seems to be setup to use java instead of objective-c. I was under the impression that you could use objective- c for development.

The WebObjects 4.5 documents also address Objective-C - check out:

http://developer.apple.com/documentation/LegacyTechnologies/WebObjects/WebObjects_4.5/webobjects.html

You're right though - we do need some "Getting started with GSWeb" kind of documentation, targetted at new developers so that they can get tangible results fairly quickly...

Things like all the basic steps to write a basic component, including directory structure, makefiles etc. Then a bit on GDL2, manual database setups and writing a model file or using DBModeler. I've got some stuff from a while ago I can put up on the wiki, but perhaps other people have material ready to go?

If you start using GSWeb, try to use my branch which is more compatible with WebObjects than the stuff
in trunk. I did not have the time to merge it back...

Where would I find your branch?

The GNUstep svn repository on gna.org I assume. There's a bit of information, but it's in no way a howto here:

  http://wiki.gnustep.org/index.php/Using_Subversion

The key information is the anaonymous access part at the top, and information about the GNUstep project structure.

Regards

Peter