Re: Some issues with my Slackware Packages...

From: Nicola Pero
Subject: Re: Some issues with my Slackware Packages...
Date: Wed, 15 Nov 2006 16:09:31 +0100 (CET)

> Well, pretty much the whole issue is with the fact that GNUstep (at least
> the latest release) doesn't implement DESTDIR.  There was some discussion
> about it before but I can't remember if it was fixed on svn or not.  The
> reason I mentioned GNUSTEP_INSTALLATION_DIR is because that's the method
> I've been using to direct the output files to a temporary spot for
> packaging.  I guess what I should have said is that there needs to be a way
> to send all files being installed by a package to a specific place!  Like I
> said before, now that I think about it, I can't remember if it was
solved on
> svn.

If you're using a release, you should set both GNUSTEP_INSTALLATION_DIR
and INSTALL_ROOT_DIR.

For example:

 make install GNUSTEP_INSTALLATION_DIR=/tmp/usr/GNUstep/System
INSTALL_ROOT_DIR=/tmp

Will put gnustep-base into /tmp/usr/GNUstep/System/... and the makefile into
/tmp/usr/GNUstep/System/Library/Makefiles/Additional/.

(If you check gnustep-base/Makefile.postamble, you will see that base.make
is installed
into $(INSTALL_ROOT_DIR)/$(GNUSTEP_MAKEFILES)/Additional/base.make, so
setting INSTALL_ROOT_DIR
will relocate that)

In the new versions of gnustep, it will be possible to use DESTDIR, so you
can just do

 make install DESTDIR=/tmp

I think current svn is almost there, but it's missing setting
INSTALL_ROOT_DIR automatically
from DESTDIR, so it would relocate gnustep-base correctly yet.  I'll add
that.

Thanks