Re: command line tools and $PATH

From: Graham J Lee
Subject: Re: command line tools and $PATH
Date: Tue, 14 Nov 2006 03:47:58 +0000

On 13 Nov 2006, at 19:42, Matt Rice wrote:

--- tgate <tgate@mypublic.net> wrote:

I'm going step by step through some of the learning
material on line and
I'm a bit confused by some of my results.

I'm following this (A First Tool):

http://www.gnustep.it/nicola/Tutorials/WritingMakefiles/node2.html

the source code (test.m):

#import <Foundation/Foundation.h>

int
main (void)
{
  NSLog (@"This is the TEST program");
  return 0;
}

when I compile and install, if I enter the full path
the tool works
fine, however if I only specify the tool without the
path nothing returns.

%> which test
./test
%> test
%> ./test
2006-11-13 11:12:13.664 test[18076] This is the TEST
program

why do I need to put in the full path?

another executable named test exists in your path,
which is used for shell scripting and stuff

No, as 'which' shows, the test in his $PATH is ./test. However test is a builtin in many recent shells: man builtin.
--
Graham J Lee
http://www.thaesofereode.info/