Re: Remove GNUSTEP_INSTALLATION_DIR from GNUmakefiles

From: Nicola Pero
Subject: Re: Remove GNUSTEP_INSTALLATION_DIR from GNUmakefiles
Date: Tue, 10 Oct 2006 19:21:48 +0200 (CEST)

My recommended upgrade path is:

 * remove GNUSTEP_INSTALLATION_DIR from the makefiles.  The makefiles
should not try to force any installation dir, but let the packager/builder
decide where they want to install :-)

 * use GNUSTEP_INSTALLATION_DIR on the command line instead (ie,
make install GNUSTEP_INSTALLATION_DIR=/opt/gnustep/System) ;-)

 * once the new gnustep-make release is out, switch to
using GNUSTEP_INSTALLATION_DOMAIN on the command line (ie,
make install GNUSTEP_INSTALLATION_DOMAIN=SYSTEM).  This should work
fine with the new (forthcoming) native FHS support :-)

Thanks

PS: The new option is

 GNUSTEP_INSTALLATION_DOMAIN = SYSTEM

(valid values are SYSTEM, LOCAL, NETWORK and USER). :-)

You can use this option in GNUmakefiles, but I still would recommend that
you don't hardcode it in GNUmakefiles, and let the packager/builder set it
on the command-line instead.

So the result is that all software by default installs into LOCAL, but you
can install it somewhere else by giving the option

 make install GNUSTEP_INSTALLATION_DOMAIN=SYSTEM

on the command line.

GNUSTEP_INSTALLATION_DIR on the command-line will keep working, but will
not make much sense on native (eg, Unix FHS) filesystems. ;-)