RE: Some random thoughs and questions on the future of GNUstep

From: Nicola Pero
Subject: RE: Some random thoughs and questions on the future of GNUstep
Date: Sat, 30 Sep 2006 19:00:36 +0200 (CEST)

Thanks ... quite some good ideas ;-)
I'll briefy comment only the gnustep-make/CMake switch.

> Adopting CMake (or better: Replacing GNUstep Make)

This looks like a lot of work to me ... ;-)

Switching to an entirely different building system is a *lot* of work.

Enhancing gnustep-make adding anything you miss is much less work. ;-)

I could list quite a few disadvantages of this particular switch, but I
guess the main point is just that any switch would be very time-consuming.

If we had the resources to manage a large scale switch to another building
system, I'd have quite a lot of ideas to discuss about our new building
system.  In fact, I'd rather write a new one from scratch ... a 'modern'
version of make.

Thanks