The Wiki

From: Stefan Bidigaray
Subject: The Wiki
Date: Tue, 12 Sep 2006 13:18:54 -0400

Hey,
I was just responding to someone on the wiki today about some of the things I've been doing and it actually brought up an interesting point:  what exactly are we doing (in every respect)?

Looking at the wiki, and the way we've been working on it, it seems like there's no direction!  We are all just doing whatever and hoping everyone else will agree with us.  Due to this, I think it would be a good idea to set some guidelines/rules for the wiki.  Nothing strick that would hinder the ability of people to modify and better it.

Below I'm going to list some of the things I think would greatly help and why I think so:
- What I'm thinking is pretty much a hierarchy!  At the very top the Main_Page and go from there.  In my opinion this would help navigation through the site, keeping related things linked against each other and nothing else (exceptions do apply).  There can obviously be other reasons for this, but I think that one should be enough to justify something like that.
- Secondly, I think we really need a standardized formatting for the different pages.  For example, the applications' pages need to look a certain way and have certain information... I personally liked how the Gorm and ProjectCenter pages came out, but I have no way of knowing if someone else liked it and will continue formatting the other pages similarly.  In my opinion with would also help, among other things, navigation by having everything the same place so people browsing the site know exactly what to expect.

In my opinion, having the wiki more structured would greatly help in convincing not only more developers but also more users to using GNUstep (seems to be a popular topic lately, so it has to make an appearance).  Like I point I made above, some of these things would help in many aspects by having everything in the same expectible place!

I had more ideas, but I forgot what some of them were, but I think this e-mail will get the point I'm trying to make out.

Thank for hearing me out
Stefan