Re: scrollbars [was: Re: really attracting developers]

From: Richard Frith-Macdonald
Subject: Re: scrollbars [was: Re: really attracting developers]
Date: Tue, 5 Sep 2006 12:52:25 +0100

On 5 Sep 2006, at 01:23, Andrew Ruder wrote:

On Tue, Sep 05, 2006 at 09:34:04AM +1000, phil taylor wrote:
I am dissapointed that the GNUstep project is devoted to its UI design. I had hoped the most important aspect was the API, not the look and feel
of the GUI. IT will never suit me. I HATE menus, especially cascading
ones.

This is an argument I've started with many people many times on the IRC
channel.  These days the UI style of GNUstep actually detracts from
people wanting to use it.  While many people look at conforming with
other toolkits look/feel as sacrificing features to become like
everything else, I agree with you here.  The API and programming
language (Objective-C) are really what would attract many developers to GNUstep. Making GNUstep look/feel like other toolkits doesn't sacrifice
anything important, IMO.  And don't get me started on app bundles and
other filesystem related things.  I understand the benefits of these
features, but as far as gaining popularity, they hurt more than they
help.

First ... Once we get theming working the appearance of the UI is largely IRRELEVANT.

Second ... You may be right that the UI detracts from people wanting to use GNUstep. Certainly we get plenty of complaints about the look of the gui, but we have no basis to tell whether we get more complaints with the NeXT look and feel than we would if we showed another look and feel.

Phil is just being making groundless assumptions when he complains that the GNUstep project is 'devoted to its UI design' ... since the project is actively moving forward on theming and few (no?) people argue against that, and while most of us probably like the NeXT UI (I haven't seen anything I like as much yet) that doesn't mean we aren't interested in trying new themes.

Of course, we (most developers) put the API first, but clearly, even though Phil says 'I had hoped the most important aspect was the API' he immediately contradicts that with 'not the look and feel of the GUI. IT will never suit me'.

I'd like to suggest that, when people write to the list complaining about their personal GUI tastes not being catered for, people refrain from commenting on the UI stuff altogether and simply direct those people to join in on adding/improving theming in the gui library. The perennial debate about what's good/bad in a user interface is, IMO, just a waste of everyones time.