Re: build without gnustep-make

From: Helge Hess
Subject: Re: build without gnustep-make
Date: Wed, 30 Aug 2006 13:17:15 +0200

On Aug 30, 2006, at 13:09, Markus Hitter wrote:
GDL2 has a Xcode/ProjectBuilder project in SVN doing this. Last time I checked I could hardly find an advantage over -make

No advantage? On MacOS Xcode builds sources _at least_ four times as fast as gstep-make. This is mostly due to
a) PCH support
b) multi CPU support
Not to mention that you can include networked machines in a build (distcc). Another advantage is that fix&continue works. etc etc

However, Xcode files have a HUGE disadvantage - they are just archived object graphs and cannot be usefully diff'ed. Which more or less makes it impossible to use in teams. (maybe one could use the new Svn locks ...)

BTW: I've added preliminary PCH support to my branch of gstep-make. This just needs a bit of bugfixing (it has bugs), but I suppose Nicola just won't find the time to do it :-( In case someone is interested:
  http://svn.opengroupware.org/SOPE/trunk/gnustep-make/

Greets,
  Helge
--