Re: really attracting developers

From: Michael Hanni
Subject: Re: really attracting developers
Date: Tue, 29 Aug 2006 14:07:47 -0700 (PDT)

Hi:

--- Riccardo <multix@ngi.it> wrote:

> On Tuesday, August 29, 2006, at 09:29 AM, Chris Vetter wrote:
>
> > I beg to differ. Which framework(s) are you referring to regarding a
> > web browser?
> > Yes, there basically are 3 to pick from (libwww, Mozilla's engine and
> > WebKit) but the first two would need wrapping and the latter  is a PITA
> > to port (I tried several times and got stuck due to references to Apple
> > specific frameworks) plus the latter two are (currently) using GTK/GDK,
> > which -- for me -- is a 'no go.'
>
> Actually what I meant is that gnustep-core is complete enough that you
> could write a webbrowser from scratch. Despite what people think, it can
> be done (iCab is a browser for macintosh written by two brothers, very
> heavy-weight, it run on 68k for a long time, it supports javascript,
> jscript and lately CSS is in the works too and mind, it is done in
> classic mac and nowadays carbon, thus far more primitive stuff). There
> is also a browser on windows wirten from scratch wich is reasonably nice.

Just throwing an idea out here: would it be possible to bind directly to KHTML
and skip the WebKit framework nightmare? [1]

Speaking for myself alone, if we had a nice simple web browser, an R frontend,
and a clever latex editor/project manager, I would be a happy camper.

Cheers,

Michael

[1] I have never looked at the KHTML code so this might be an asinine
suggestion.