Dock (Re: Re: These NeXTbuntu guys)

From: Yen-Ju Chen
Subject: Dock (Re: Re: These NeXTbuntu guys)
Date: Tue, 29 Aug 2006 07:52:18 -0700

On 8/29/06, Andreas Höschler <ahoesch@smartsoft.de> wrote:
[snip]
However, we are still in the process of assembling a desktop that at
least comes close to what can be found on a Mac. Right now we are using
Window Maker (has Azalea a dock? If so we never found out how to get it
to work),

 Azalea has dock only for dock applications.

 There are 4 kind of stuff people want to put on the dock.
 1. regular files, applications mostly.
 2. GNUstep applications, which can be handled through NSWorkspace and DO
 3. Regular xwindow applications, which can be handled through xwindow
 4. dockapp.

 The dock of GWorkspace handles the first 2 already.
 The third one can be easily handled by listening to xwindow event
 and extract the correct path and icon of applications.
 This part is independent from window manager.
 The fourth one is a little bit tricky because you have to put dockapp window,
 which is a xwindow window, on top of NSWindow, which is also a xwindow behind.
 It may not work properly because NSWindow doesn't not expect to have
 xwindows on top of it.

 I have trouble hacking the dock in GWorkspace
 and I personally prefer to have an independent dock outside GWorkspace.
 So if someone is willing to write a dock or port the one in GWorkspace
 as an independent application,
 I can help on the xwindow side.
 First, you need to hook up the xwindow loop with NSRunLoop.
 Second, you have to intercept certains event and let NSApplication
handle the rest.
 Third, you have to extract the path and icon of applications
 and put them on the dock.
 Fourth, you have to track the open and close of xwindow.
 I have a prototype of task list, which is not very different from a dock.

 Yen-Ju

[snip]

Regards,

  Andreas