Re: These NeXTbuntu guys

From: Sašo Kiselkov
Subject: Re: These NeXTbuntu guys
Date: Tue, 29 Aug 2006 16:32:24 +0200

Andreas Höschler wrote:
Hello Chris,

• If an app hangs Window Maker is dead. No chance to start Terminal.app to
kill the application. This is not acceptable.

Agreed, however, if any window manager hangs you're in deep shit anyway.

I assume the corresponding system on a Mac is multi threaded. If I try to start an app from the dock there and it hangs I have no problem to open the application list and kill it. I can't do that with Window Maker.

• As far as we know there is no nice GNUstep application yet to kill a bad
process (Terminal.app + kill ... is no option for enterprise users)

If you're running Etoile's MenuServer, check the Etoile Menu (the little flower). There's an entry 'Applications' that will let you select and kill any GNUstep-related application.

We run EtoileMenuServer.app. I just checked the flower -> Applications -> Application List, but selecting this menu item gives me nothing. I not even get an error message on the console!? As you might know we are on Solaris. :-)

It's not a Solaris problem, it's an EtoileMenuServer problem - I haven't implemented many of the process-related functions yet. Simply didn't have the time to do that yet. The same goes for the "Log Out" button - it's supposed to plug into the Etoile desktop architecture, but we haven't worked that out yet, so I didn't know how to do that...

Please also beware that EtoileMenuServer is alpha software - it's quite far away from where it should be. There's tons of bugs and lots of unimplemented features and it's basically just good for hacking on it...
• Although it is said that Copy & Paste (at least for text) works between X-apps and GNUstep apps. I cannot confirm that. My collegue is able to copy from Firefox to TextEdit.app, I am not (on the same machine). We have not yet
found out why. So I can't confirm that this works generally.

Do you (your account) run gdnc and gpbs upon login?

I have no idea where or by whom gdnc and gpbs are started. But after we login with Window maker we have both daemons running. I did "ps -Af | grep gpbs" and got

ahoesch 22470 1 0 15:25:35 ? 0:00 /opt/GNUstep/System/Tools/gpbs --daemon

After killing this daemon copy & paste between Firefox and TextEdit started to work. I did the ps again and got

ahoesch 22472 1 0 15:25:35 ? 0:00 /opt/GNUstep/System/Tools/gpbs -GSStartupNotification GSStartup-GPBS --daemon

gpbs was restarted with an additional option and obviousl ythis option is important for Copy & Paste to work. Weird! But I am glad it works now. One step further to a working GNUstep based desktop. Thanks!

Submit this as a bug - it should not behave like this for certain. A gpbs instance should be unique to login session, as for DnD to work in X-Windows the gpbs daemon needs to connect to the X-server, which is obviously possible only after login.

    How much work would it be to write a GNUstep wrapper for Firefox
(Objective-C++)?

A wrapper around Gecko? You do not want to even think about it.
But there's Flock and Camino.

Though both are a no-go if you want to have your system clean of GTK.
I rather break my teeth by porting WebKit...

so I think one could live with this one alien (next to Star Office) for a while if at least copy & paste between Firefox, Star Office and GNUstep apps really worked (please let me know what I could try to get this working on my
account).

Drag'n'Drop of text does work (just tried with Firefox and TextEdit)

This does not work for me, but I can live with that now that copy & paste works. I don't like the concept of dragging text anyway.

Regards,

  Andreas

--
Saso