Re: GNUstep paste board (Was: really attracting developers)

From: Charles Philip Chan
Subject: Re: GNUstep paste board (Was: really attracting developers)
Date: Tue, 29 Aug 2006 07:43:06 -0400

On 2006-08-28 15:59:32 -0400 Fred Kiefer <fredkiefer@gmx.de> wrote:

> I am a bit unsure, how much of this is already a standard or at least
> widely used. But having image exchange in GNUstep would surely be
> nice.

I know at least it is implemented in GTK and QT because image exchange
between GTK and QT apps works.

> One problem here is that GNUstep can only convert NSImages to TIFF,
> but
> not to PNG. Perhaps it would be a start to be able to read PNG from
> the
> pasteboard, which should not be too hard to implement.

I wonder if just by copy TIFF data to the X clipboard is good enough.

> As for the font format, I think it is actually a very bad idea to copy
> the real font, in what ever format, onto the clipboard. What should be
> put there are the font properties, just like GNUstep does it :-)

Agreed. I was just paraphrasing the spec.

> DND will be another big step. Here a whole rewrite is needed. When we
> tried to integrate GNUstep DND with X we did get it completely wrong
> the
> first time.

A working DND system will certainly attract more less technical users.

> Yes, this is the biggest remaining problem, but it does not look to
> hard
> to resolve, somebody will just have to take a deep look into a PS
> specification and then hard code it into GSStreamContext.

I see.

Charles

--
printk ("Kicking board.\n");