GNUstep (desktop) for enterprises

From: Andreas Höschler
Subject: GNUstep (desktop) for enterprises
Date: Tue, 29 Aug 2006 13:00:22 +0200

Hello all,

I would like to initiate a little survey!

• How many (who) companies are using or planning to use base for commercial applications? • How many (who) companies are using or planning to use base, gui, back for real enterprise applications? • How many (who) companies offer or are planning to offer a GNUstep (Window Maker, Etoile,...) based desktop to their customers?

Once we have gathered this list we have an idea of the short term potential of GNUstep in enterprises and might even find a way to organize funds to get the remaining work done quickly.

I think we should attack the enterprise market first. This is what NeXTstep tried (EOF,...). They failed but nevertheless. Apple is attacking the masses with this iPod, iMove, iWhoKnowsWhat approach. We don't have the resources to address the end user market, but we might and should be able to drag together enough resources to realize a GNUstep based desktop for enterprises that can easily be installed and maintained by the miriads of consultants and system integrators out there by simply installing a disk image or a defined list of binary packages.

• We need to solve a few desktop issues (DND, Copy & Paste, Kill an app with gui application, stable (multithreaded) window manager that continues to operate if an app hangs,...) • We need easy to install packages for a hand full of platforms (Solaris x86, Solaris SPARC, Debian, SuSE,...) • Once we have these defined platforms, companies can start to sell commercial software (binary form) for these defined platforms.

So IMHO we need an entity that is defining this desktop platform, develops what is missing and maintains it for a set of OSes. We would be willing to fund such an entity, but we can't afford to do this alone. So who else (companies, VCs,...) is commited enough to support this initiative (open source based [Objective-C, OPENSTEP] desktop for enterprises) with funds and how could this be set up? Any ideas?

Regards,

  Andreas