Re: The need for an official GNUstep desktop

From: Peter Cooper
Subject: Re: The need for an official GNUstep desktop
Date: Mon, 28 Aug 2006 13:43:08 +0200

Is Terminal.app of real use for anyone? We got it built on our Solaris machine but at least our version is rather buggy and unusable. "ls" list the files but does not show the bash prompt again.

Strange, it must be a Solaris specific problem. Terminal.app have been rock solid for me with no problems at all (I am on a Linux system). Did you file a bug report? If no one does that, nothing
will be fixed.

I suspect, like many things, it's an All-The-World-Is-Linux problem. Terminal.app seems to have lifted linux-console compatible code for text rendering and so on.

If you're not on linux, your termcap or equivalent database probably doesn't contain the linux terminal type.

Do try to set your TERM variable to xterm or vt100 and try again (linux is, as far as I know, a superset of these). I use vt100 with no visible rendering errors.

I've been running Terminal.app on NetBSD for ages, and apart from some cosmetic issues that I can't easily fix because of the at-times-incomprehensible-genius of the authori, it's a very pleasant terminal environment that I use every day for all sorts of involved character-mode things.

Regards

Peter