Camaelon <-> GNUstep

From: Marc Brünink
Subject: Camaelon <-> GNUstep
Date: Fri, 25 Aug 2006 11:16:50 +0200

Hi all,

I guess everybody knows it already:-) Yesterday evening we installed etoile on Solaris 10. And it was the first time we took a look at Camaelon. Now I just have to yell across the list:
"ITS GREAT!"

Actually Camaelon fixes one of the three things I really hate about GNUstep. I will express it in 4 tiny letters: G R E Y

Now I'm wondering why this was not synced into GNUstep yet. Actually I did not look at the code but I guess it is gooood code.

Sometimes I have the feeling that every third email on this list is about having not enough developers. And how to attract more. I think this is pretty easy: Do not use grey! Its not about the codebase and clean or functional code at all. Its about the look and feel. If it looks bad most of the people will not even look deep enough to see the code. They will just vanish. However if we have a good look and feel (without installing an additional bundle) people will come, take a look take a closer look and finally will see the code. Even if everything is broken: At least they have seen it! And the most important thing: They will come back.
(Do anyone remember the gorm 1.0 announcement at slashdot?)

Another thing to keep in mind: 2 different codebases costs man power. And I guess we could use this man power somewhere else.

So I highly advocate to sync Camaelon into GNUstep. Even if it breaks some things. So what? We just have to suspend the next release until they're fixed. And I guess they will be fixed pretty rapidly.

Just some random thoughts. Fell free to yell at me :-)

Marc