Re: Trying to compile libobjc with Hans-Boehm GC under MinGW

From: Markus Hitter
Subject: Re: Trying to compile libobjc with Hans-Boehm GC under MinGW
Date: Wed, 14 Jun 2006 21:38:45 +0200

Am 14.06.2006 um 16:04 schrieb Lloyd Dupont:

make -n gc=yes
copy the line
remove -llibobjc_gc
paste the line, run it, it works!

This might work to get the thing to compile, but it looks a lot like you strip out garbage collection in the same step. Does GC still work, then?

Am 14.06.2006 um 16:47 schrieb Lloyd Dupont:

Although I asked many times I had exactly one answer on "how to compile with Boehm GC" and it was:
"make gc=yes"

Well, I didn't do much work on the GC stuff and I stayed quiet for this reason.

Vaguely I remember some discussion on the GNUstep lists about this technology when it was introduced to GNUstep a few years ago. To my understanding, you have to reconfigure and recompile all gcc (including libobj-c) and all of the GNUstep libraries for Boehm-GC support.

Apple is doing some work on garbage collection as well and is also using gcc. Not sure wether it's the same collector, though.

<http://developer.apple.com/documentation/DeveloperTools/gcc-4.0.1/ gcc/Garbage-Collection.html>
<http://arstechnica.com/staff/fatbits.ars/2006/5/6/3868>

HTH,
Markus