Re: Build assembly code in GNUmakefile

From: Yen-Ju Chen
Subject: Re: Build assembly code in GNUmakefile
Date: Sat, 27 May 2006 10:16:42 -0700

On 5/27/06, Nicola Pero <nicola.pero@operatelecom.com> wrote:

> Hi,
>
>   I have an assembly code with extension '.S'.
>   How could I add it into the building process of GNUmakefile ?
>   It can be done with Makefile like:
>   'gcc -c PortableUContext_asm.S -o _objs/PortableUContext_asm.o'
>   then linked with other C code.

You can list additional object files you want to link into your project by
using the variable xxx_OBJ_FILES.

You can add a rule to create a .o file from a .S file, and here you go.

Full example creating a tool from main.m and PortableUContext_asm.S --

 Yes, the example work perfectly.
 I did use _OBJ_FILES, but cannot figure out how to insert it before linking.
 xxx_ASM_FILES is also welcome,
 though I think few people will use it.

 Thanx a lot.

 Yen-Ju

----

include $(GNUSTEP_MAKEFILES)/common.make

TOOL_NAME = NicolaExample
NicolaExample_OBJC_FILES = main.m
NicolaExample_OBJ_FILES = $(GNUSTEP_OBJ_DIR)/PortableUContext_asm.o

$(GNUSTEP_OBJ_DIR)/%${OEXT}: %.S
        $(ECHO_COMPILING)$(CC) $< -c -o $@$(END_ECHO)

include $(GNUSTEP_MAKEFILES)/tool.make

----

If this way of compiling .S files into .o files is standard, we can add it
to gnustep-make directly so everyone will have the stuff ready to go.  We
can also add a xxx_ASM_FILES or something similar ... so the only thing
you would need to do then is --

NicolaExample_ASM_FILES = PortableUContext_asm.S

Thanks

For Opera Telecom's latest news click here
"Opera Telecom – Partner of Vodafone, BT, and 02 – Offices in Australia, Ireland,
Italy, Kenya, Portugal, South Africa, Spain, Tanzania, UK and USA – one-stop shop
solution including 3G Video, MMS, SMS, WAP, Web, IVR available through Opera's
world-leading Dragon self-service platform."
This e-mail is intended for the above named only. It may contain private and
confidential information or material that is privileged. If it has come to you in
error you must take no action based upon it, nor must you copy or show it to
anyone. Please return the message immediately to postmaster The validity of any
pricing information contained herein is 30 days unless otherwise stated. E &OE.
Standard terms and conditions apply