Re: [Etoile-dev] Re: Io language for StepTalk on Cocoa

From: Jeremy Tregunna
Subject: Re: [Etoile-dev] Re: Io language for StepTalk on Cocoa
Date: Thu, 25 May 2006 19:43:14 -0400

On 25-May-06, at 2:54 PM, Yen-Ju Chen wrote:

 Io language is interesting in a way that you can redefine all syntax.
 In my mind, it might not be hard to create a 'Objective-C Script'
language on it.

I have a script written about a year ago for Io that does this very thing. (Though it is dependant on the : being part of the identifier, which is one thing we are considering removing at the moment (replacing it with underscores); though it shouldn't be difficult to modify if we do make that change to the language.)

 And it has a different object (prototype) and thread (actor) model
than Objective-C,
 which could be a good companion to GNUstep.
 But the langauge itself is still young and may have some big changes later
 on the language design and internal implementation.

There are still some major changes to be made to the language (Collections work comes to mind first and foremost) before we're closer to a stable release; but yes, caution should be taken, it's still rather rough.

--

Jeremy Tregunna

jtregunna@blurgle.ca

"The proof is the proof that the proof has been proven and that's the proof!" - Jean Chrétien