Fwd: The GNUstep code challenge.

From: Chris Beaham
Subject: Fwd: The GNUstep code challenge.
Date: Tue, 16 May 2006 08:51:40 +0200

Begin forwarded message:

From: Marko Riedel <markoriedelde@yahoo.de>
Date: May 14, 2006 10:32:53 PM GMT+02:00
To: DISCUSS GNUstep <discuss-gnustep@gnu.org>
Subject: The GNUstep code challenge.

Hi folks,

I'm hoping I can get some feedback on the following idea. The other day at
work I observed a colleague of mine install Ubuntu/GNOME on a new
workstation and it really broke my heart. I thought "there goes another
machine that should have GNUstep/GNULinux on it." Folks, GNUstep
definitely needs more visibility. That's why I'm suggesting we establish

    The GNUstep Code Challenge,

................ etc......
I eagerly await your comments and observations.

Best regards,

Marko Riedel

Hello Marko, Hello Everyone

I'm am not convinced that visibility is the problem.  It's more likely "ability".   That is, the ability to attract new developers, who in turn will create more applications, which will attract more end users, who will in turn pass on their experience to others, and .......... etc. etc. etc...  The snowball effect.

But how do you attract more developers?

First of all, you need to have a website that is up-to-date!  THERE IS NO BIGGER TURN-OFF than navigating to a site, only to find that some of the information is a year or more old!!!!!

Without any knowledge of what is happening in the discuss-gnustep forum, one would never know what parts of the project are being actively maintained and what are not.  Just have a look at the "Progress Overview" http://www.gnustep.org/information/progress.html and see for yourself.  The last update is from October 2005.  There are dead links and links to projects that are dead or haven't been updated in ages.  Please don't misunderstand me, I'm not blaming anyone for the condition of the information.  I'm simply stating, that if you want to increase your visibility, then you need to start by improving the information that you are trying to present.  This is a Sales and Advertising issue and not a developer issue.

IMHO, a "Code Challenge" is not the first priority.

Improve the Website Information and Documentation.
Improve the Software, Support, and Distribution.
Provide for GNUstep Training
Provide for GNUstep Certification (through training courses and examinations)
Have fun..... which includes Code Challenges, Debugging Sprees, whatever......

Just my $0.02.....

Chris Beaham

Chris Beaham, Manager Systems Hardware & Software Engineering
PCS Process Control Systems AG, Werkstrasse 6/8, CH-8620 Wetzikon
Tel: +41/44-931-22-45  /  Fax: +41/44-931-22-53
Mail: development@pcs-ag.com  /  Internet: www.pcs-ag.com