Re: Window Maker weirdness

From: Chris Vetter
Subject: Re: Window Maker weirdness
Date: Wed, 03 May 2006 22:09:20 +0200

On 2006-05-03 21:55:27 +0200 Andreas Höschler <ahoesch@smartsoft.de> wrote:
>> That depends on how your X session was started.
> I choose Window Maker from the dtlogin session menu on the Solaris login
> page. :-) Actually I have no idea what this does and how X is started. There
> are the files
> /etc/dt/config/Xconfig:
> /etc/dt/config/Xsession.CSWwmaker:
> /etc/dt/config/Xinitrc.CSWwmaker:
>       exec /opt/csw/bin/wmaker
>>    If you run 'startx' from a console, every output of NSLog would go there,
>> so you'll have to CTRL-ALT-Fx to the appropriate console.
> This does nothing on Solaris. Ctrl-ALT-Backspace brings me back to the login
> page!?

Of course, Solaris doesn't offer that feature. Sorry, I was simply assuming
you're using X that comes with BSD or Linux.

>>    Alternatively, if you start through XDM everything should be visible in
>> the console window instead.
> What is XDM and the console window?

XDM is the X Display Manager that supports XDMCP (X Display Manager Control
Protocol). Basically, it sends a broadcast out and every X server (that is
configured to do so) will answer back. The XDM will then present you with a
list of hosts you can choose from where (on which box) you want to log in.
Usually, XDM will have a small window open that displays all messages that go
directly to /dev/console -- usually the standard error(s).

It has been a while since I last used CDE, but if I remember correctly, you can
run 'cmdtool -C' to open a console window. Alternatively, you can 'export
dtstart_sessionlogfile=/path/to/session.log' in your $HOME/.dtprofile file to
have dtlogin dump a log to the specified file.

--
Chris