Re: Draw on Xwindow directly without NSWindow

From: Yen-Ju Chen
Subject: Re: Draw on Xwindow directly without NSWindow
Date: Sun, 30 Apr 2006 23:48:51 -0700

On 4/29/06, Yen-Ju Chen <yjchenx@gmail.com> wrote:
On 4/29/06, Fred Kiefer <fredkiefer@gmx.de> wrote:
[snip]

> I have been giving this some thought. Wouldn't it resolve your problem,
> if we add to GNUstep an implementation of the method [NSWindow
> initWithWindowRef:], where the window ref would be the X window?
> This should give about the same results as your code, but in a well
> defined way. The code inside of initWithWindowRef: would be a mixture of
> the code from _initBackendWindow and
> initWithContentRect:styleMask:backing:defer:screen:, where the size,
> style, level, screen and backingstore information would be extracted
> from the underlying X window by a new backend method, that would also
> return a GNUstep window number.
> For your special environment we need to ensure that the window
> decoration handling is set correctly. Somehow we need to trick the x
> backend as well as the gui code into thinking that the window
> decoratione should not be handled at their level :-)
>
> I am willing to write this code, if you can provide a test application
> for it, that is point me to the part of teh Azalea code that would use this.

 The other way is to provide a stripped-down version of x11 backend
 and its sole role is to connect drawing to any given xwindow.
 It's like a highway between drawing in AppKit and xwindow.
 Applications can load it as bundle and it will override most of the XGServer
 methods regarding to NSWindow.
 Anyway, I haven't find another way to go around.
 It is just a thought occured to me.

 Yen-Ju

[snip]