encoding for i18n

From: Ingolf Jandt
Subject: encoding for i18n
Date: Sat, 01 Apr 2006 18:08:10 +0200

I am wondering which encoding to use for Localizable.strings-files. GNUMail and GWorkspace use Latin-1. As I use an @UTF-8 locale, I had to recode their files. (Else they complained ".../Localizable.strings does not contain string data" or sth similar and switched back to English.) Terminal and AddressManager use 7-bit enc with explicit '\u...' tags. Portable but very unhandy to write.

So my question is: Is there an 'official' or proposed format for Localizable.strings? If not, there definitivly should be one explicit encoding -- guaranteed to work independantly of the locale setting. If it exists, it should be followed more closely.
(Of course I would try to be helpful in conversion.)

Ingolf