Re: Questions about Fswatcher for Linux kernel 2.6.x

From: Enrico Sersale
Subject: Re: Questions about Fswatcher for Linux kernel 2.6.x
Date: Fri, 31 Mar 2006 14:49:17 +0300

On 2006-03-31 04:34:21 +0300 Charles Philip Chan <cpchan@sympatico.ca> wrote:

Hello Enrico:

I want to try test the new fswatcher for Linux kernel 2.6.x, however I
have a few questions:

First I want to say that GWorkspace doesn't need these system-specific versions
of fswatcher; they are simply faster but don't add anything new from the
GWorkspace point of view.
The new features are useful only for mdextractor, a new daemon that extracts
and keep updated words contents and other metadata attributes from your files
(something like Apple Spotlight, to understand).
If you want to try it (even if this is only work in progress), you must install
the gmds and mdextractor daemons that are in Tools/gmds and the
SystemPreferences module that is in Preferences/Indexing.
For the moment there is not a client because the client will substitute the
actual Finder and I can't do this if I don't find a reliable solution for linux
2.6.x.

(1) What rules should I put into /etc/audit.rules for GWorkspace.app?

I have:

-a exit,always -S open
-a exit,always -S creat
-a exit,always -S mkdir
-a exit,always -S rmdir
-a exit,always -S unlink
-a exit,always -S rename

(2) The log files generated by auditd is only readable by root- I
    can't seem to find an option for log file permissions. I manage to
    get it working for a while after changing the permission of the
    log file, however fswatcher dies when the log gets rotated.

For the moment you should run it suid root.

Just out of curiously, why was auditd chosen instead of fam

     http://oss.sgi.com/projects/fam/index.html

or use d/inotify directly? The reason why I am asking this is because:

(1) Fam is well tested and included with all Linux distros and used by
    many software for a number of years while auditd is not.

(2) You are not kidding in one of your earlier posts- auditd slowed my
    system to a crawl.

Because fam and inotify need a list of directories to watch and this is exactly
what fswatcher already does since years with a simplier and totally portable
mechanism.
What I need is something that reports *all* the changes that happen in the
filesystem.
And this is not necessairly a resource-intensive process; it is the linux
kernel and/or the auditd daemon that don't work reliably; if you try the
fswatcher version for darwin-8 (that reads from /dev/fsevents as spotlight
does), you will see that your system is not slowed at all.

Thanks,
Charles