GUI/AppKit manual

From: Christopher Armstrong
Subject: GUI/AppKit manual
Date: Sat, 25 Mar 2006 14:30:40 +1100

Hi all,

In the past, I've mentioned that I've been working on a programming
manual for gnustep-gui. I'm thinking of making a 0.1 release soon, as
it's become quite hefty (~55 pages) and it's probably worth it. For
those who haven't had a chance to look at it yet, there are html and pdf
copies viewable online at

http://gnustep-docs.sf.net

(just follow the links on that page, including to the project page for
CVS). I have it update twice a week so those copies track CVS changes. I
was hoping people may take a look and see whether they think it's worth
making a release out of this yet. Note the pdf and html copies don't
operate correctly due to ancient texinfo versions on their servers (I
can generate better/working copies at home).

It's far from complete, and I'm just starting to realise the mammoth
task of actually documenting parts of the AppKit, especially it's
concepts and it's ideas (something Apple doesn't often do themselves). I
want to add examples of specific controls as well, espcially the one's
that don't get much publicity. I've tried not to intrude to heavily on
the territory of the base/make manual to avoid replication, except where
I think clarification/consolidation is needed.

With regards to the class quick reference chapter, I may also put it
under GPL for use in code. I've had one request for this, anyone else
interested? I could finalise an additional licence for that chapter
within the next couple of weeks if people want.

What do people think? Any suggestions? Contributions are (obviously)
always welcome.

Cheers
Chris
--