Project "GNUstep in a Nutshell" ready for FOSDEM 2007

From: hns
Subject: Project "GNUstep in a Nutshell" ready for FOSDEM 2007
Date: 9 Mar 2006 12:40:15 -0800

Hi all,

as inidcated, I would like to edit such a book and I really appreciate
all the hints and offers for help which already appeared here on this
list.

So, what I am looking for is a book(let) like the O'Reilly Pocket
Reference series, e.g. GIMP, MySQL, PHP to name some I have myself in
my bookshelf. This does not mean that we should publish it through
O'Reilly but it is one option.

These booklets usually have approx. 100 pages.

So, now here comes the main part, a draft for the table of contents:

TOC
1. GNUstep for Beginners
1.1 Projects using GNUstep
1.2 How to install GNUstep
1.3 How to operate GNustep
2. GNUstep for Users
2.1 Overview on Application suite
2.2 GNUmail
2.3 Workspace
2.4 etc.
3. Objective-C for Beginners
3.1 Benefits of Objective-C
3.2 General Overview
3.3 The Base and GUI Toolkit Libraries
3.4 A Hello World example
3.5 Literature
4. GNUstep for Developers
4.1 How to recompile from scratch
4.2 How to use ProjectCenter
4.3 How to use GORM
4.4 etc.
5. Cross-Platform
5.1 Linux
5.2 Windows
5.3 Embedded
6. Open Groupware
7. Resources
8. Links

On same priority is a project plan and timeline:

Timeline:
Agree on concept:     E3.2006
Authors found:          E4.2006
Receive manuscripts:    E7.2006
Merge:                  E8.2006
Send out for Review:    E8.2006
Work in Feedback:       E10.2006
Printed (FOSDEM07):     E2.2007

And finally, as important as the others: who is doing what.

This is the current list of volunteers:
* Section GORM - Gregory Casamento
* Section Embedded - Nikolaus Schaller

* Typesetting & Design - Jesse Ross
* Proofreading & Review - Gerold Rupprecht

and my suggestions/invitations (based on the presentations from
FOSDEM):

* Chapter GNUstep for Beginners - Nicolas Roard
* Chapter Objective-C for Beginners - Nicolas Roard
* Chapter GNUstep for Developers - Nicolas Roard, Sašo Kiselkov
* Chapter OGo - Bjoern Stierand
* Chapter Cross-Platform - Richard Frith-Macdonald / Wim Oudshoorn

So, more volunteers are welcome. Just propose what chapter/section you
could contribute to me and I will try to fit it into the table of
contents.

-- hns