Re: additional problem with NSRunLoop on Windows

From: Richard Frith-Macdonald
Subject: Re: additional problem with NSRunLoop on Windows
Date: Mon, 27 Feb 2006 19:18:24 +0000

On 23 Feb 2006, at 01:53, Lloyd Dupont wrote:

Im writing a .NET desktop application on Windows.
However I'm using GNUstep to power the data part of my application (which is still evolving on MacOSX).

Recently I had problem with the NSNotificationQueue which needed to be triggered manually and I was advised to use something along this line:

[[NSRunLoop currentRunLoop]
   runMode: @"NSDefaultRunLoopMode"
   beforeDate: (NSDate*) [NSDate distantPast]]

So did I and it fixed the problem I was looking at.

But now my application behave very strangely.
For example if my (GNUstep aware) windows is in the background and I click on it it receive (in this order)
mouse up (first ?!)
mouse down (second ?!)

whereas it should receive (and it does without the NSRunLoop trick):
mouse down
mouse up

ouch.....
I noticed that in some other case GNUstep do some weird thing with my event loop sometimes....

Well, that needs tracking down/fixing then ...
Can you give me testcase code to demonstrate the problem so I can try debugging it?

So the questions are:
1. is there a way to fix that? (I think I will revert to my idea of using GSNotifyASAP())

GSNotifyASAP is for internal use by the library ... not a good idea to try using it in a user app.

2. even though I'mnot running a GNUstep app, is ther some method calling the NSRunLoop without me knowing?

Maybe ... depends what you are doing ... things like NSConnection, NSURL, NSFileHandle, NSTask, and possible a few others will run the run loop in some circumstances.