Re: Debug vs Release modes like Xcode?

From: Sašo Kiselkov
Subject: Re: Debug vs Release modes like Xcode?
Date: Wed, 01 Mar 2006 13:47:06 +0100

Quoting Stephen Sebeny <sebeny.1@osu.edu>:

> Hi,
>
>     I haven't used GNUstep tons, so sorry if this is a basic question. When
> working with Cocoa on Mac OS X using Xcode there is a Debug mode and a
> Release mode when you compile. For a simple command line interface tool that
> I have when compiled with Debug mode it produces a 600+ K executable file.
> Yet when building with Release mode it produces a 44 K executable file. I
> noticed that when I build this same project on Solaris using GNUstep it
> produces a 600+ K executable file. So I am assuming that this is the
> equivalent to the debug mode in Xcode. Is there some switch I need to add to
> the GNUstep makefile for my project to tell it to go to relase mode? Or is
> there no equivalent? Or do I need to use some other tool to manually strip
> out debug info out of the executable? Please let me know, or better yet
> point me in the direction of the relevant information. Thanks!
>
> -----
> Stephen M. Sebeny
> sebeny.1@osu.edu

If it produces such a big executable, then it's almost absolutely certain that
you do have debug info enabled, when building the app under GNUstep, or perhaps
it is set up in that makefile - don't know which one without a peek at the
makefile. Anyways, the general syntax:

$ make
 - build normal release binary
$ make debug=yes
 - build a debugging version

For more info on the GNUstep-make system, see:

http://www.gnustep.org/resources/documentation/Developer/Make/Manual/make_toc.html

--
Saso