Re: gdnc not starting, window manager, startup-0.14.1

From: Andrew Sveikauskas
Subject: Re: gdnc not starting, window manager, startup-0.14.1
Date: Wed, 22 Feb 2006 14:04:55 -0500

On Wed, Feb 22, 2006 at 06:50:37AM +0000, Richard Frith-Macdonald wrote:
> I know some version of BSD
> (but I forget which) had problems with it's thread library.  However,
> I thought we had managed a workaround to that bug.

FWIW, on OpenBSD (which I use), the objc runtime is compiled without thread
support.  I think the reason for this is they do not want libobjc to depend
on libpthread.

What I do to work around this is I've compiled thr-posix.c from libobjc,
made it into a .so which I put in LD_PRELOAD for GNUstep programs that
require threads.

If anyone can tell me about a more "automatic" solution to this problem,
I'd like to hear it.  Perhaps having OpenBSD builds include thr-posix.c
in the -base package, or something of that nature?

Andrew