How to create header files before make(1) tries to build-headers

From: Chris Vetter
Subject: How to create header files before make(1) tries to build-headers
Date: Wed, 22 Feb 2006 23:25:40 +0100

Hi,

problem is that for a framework I need to create a couple of files via yacc(1) (yes, I know, don't ask) that include needed 'official' header files (that is, the header files will get installed later on). Now, easy (I thought) just create them via 'before-all::' in GNUmakefile.postamble. This works -- as long as make(1) is called inside the subproject directory that contains the yacc(1) files. If I run make(1) at top level, it will step through each subproject directory and tries to copy the header files -- which do yet not exist, because for some reason, 'before-all::' doesn't get 'executed' before all. Uhm.

So, question is, how can I have yacc(1) run before make(1) tries to copy the (not yet existing) header files??? No, having to run sth like 'make -f Makefile.yacc' first is not really an option...

--
Chris