arch repositories missing

From: StolenNomenclature
Subject: arch repositories missing
Date: Thu, 09 Feb 2006 22:22:22 GMT

Gnustep web page for downloads
(http://www.gnustep.org/resources/sources.html) has an Arch Linux section
referring to a Pacman repository
(ftp://blkwidow.lerp.com/pub/mirror/arch/gnustep).

This errors out and the server does not seem to exist, or their is some kind
of permissions issue (I believe the former).

I am working my way through the download page trying different Linux distros
in a vain attempt to get Gnustep development environment to install, just
sufficient to try out the simple sample programs in the basic tutorial. Arch
Linux was another combo to try.

I notice when Googling that documents relating to Gnustep and Arch seem to
be horribly out of date, so perhaps this stuff is no longer maintained. If
so, it might be cool to change the web page to reflect this.

As yet no luck whatsoever getting Gnustep up and running.

Can someone suggest a Distro/Package combination that can work in a
straightforward way without patching and fixing. Ive tried Debian, Ubuntu,
Arch, FreeBSD. Not interested in trying Suse (specially not 9.3), OpenBSD or
Gentoo. Dont have access to a Mac or to Solaris. Theres not much left on the
official web page.

It is not difficult to get a Gnome/Glade setup running under almost any
version / revision of Linux - I am nonplussed as to why Gnustep should be
any different, but whatever I do nothing ever works properly. I have never
succeeded in getting Gorm to even load, much less run properly.

What am I missing?

Thanks,

ptay1685@bigpon.net.au