Re: GNUstep.conf problem

From: Richard Frith-Macdonald
Subject: Re: GNUstep.conf problem
Date: Sun, 8 Jan 2006 15:34:58 +0000

I've committed some more changes/fixes to the base library to try to make this config stuff as easy as possible.

You should be aware that, while make and base use the same config under unix-like systems, they need different config under windows. This is because the build environment msys and makefiles etc uses unix style paths (they don't like backslashes, spaces, or colons), but tools/applications are supposed to use native windows paths (ie with colons and backslashes)

So, on mingw the make package should use /c/GNUstep/GNUstep.conf-dev as the config file, but the base package should now use that file *only* to for building/installing the base library.

By default on mingw, the base package now uses './GNUstep.conf' as the configuration file location (which means it expects the config file to be in the same directory as the base library DLL). It also now has built-in default locations (used when no config file is found at runtime) which should find all resources relative to the location of the library DLL.

Distribution of a package where everything is in one directory should be possible simply by putting a GNUstep.conf in that directory with the appropriate values ('GNUSTEP_SYSTEM_ROOT=./' etc). I haven't actually tested that though.

Of course, what I've just described is the default setup ... there are various options to the configure script which can be used to override this setup in various ways. What I've tried to do is ensure that the default setup is very easy to work with.