Re: Segmentation fault on OSX for intel

From: Enrico Sersale
Subject: Re: Segmentation fault on OSX for intel
Date: Wed, 04 Jan 2006 20:24:02 +0200

On 2006-01-04 17:12:03 +0200 joekewoud_@joekewoud.nl wrote:

Hi

When I start *any* gnustep program. Including most from the Tools directory
I get a segmentation fault

banana:/var/log joekewoud$ openapp Affiche.app
Segmentation fault
banana:/var/log joekewoud$

I compiled from source using the startup package. Startup Version 0.14.0
That contains GUI 0.10.2, back 0.10.2, base 1.11.2 and make 1.11.2

I work on MacosX for INTEL 10.4.3 8f1099 on the intel apple developer
platform. (Which is has a Pentium D as a CPU)

I use GCC4.02 FSF

The libraries I need are compiled using Darwinports (www.darwinports.org)

When using gdb i get:

(gdb) run
Starting program: /usr/GNUstep/Local/Applications/Affiche.app/Affiche
Reading symbols for shared libraries ..+.......+...............+ done

Program received signal EXC_BAD_ACCESS, Could not access memory.
Reason: KERN_INVALID_ADDRESS at address: 0x746f7270
0x90a418b0 in objc_msgSend ()
(gdb) bt
#0  0x90a418b0 in objc_msgSend ()
(gdb)
This is the crashlog:

[snip]

I've had, since some month, GNUstep working on Darwin-8 x86 (no OS X) on a box
with a mainboard similar to the apple developer platform.
I've installed it using Darwinports, a patched ffcall (that I can sent you, if
you want) and GNUstep from CVS. Startup didn't work, for me.
I've encoutered the same problem, some days ago, when I removed my sources
directory and then checked out all the stuff again; I can't tell you why, but
the problem has been fixed updating to an older version (cvs -t update -Pd -D
2005-11-15), building all and, then, updating to the last version and rebuiding
again all.

I would like to write real portable applications. I feel GNUSTEP is the way.

What I can say, due of my experience, is that GNUstep and all its applications
can work perfectly on your platform.

Please help!
Ewoud