Re: Installing GNUStep under X11 on OSX...newbie...can anyone help pleas

From: Adam Fedor
Subject: Re: Installing GNUStep under X11 on OSX...newbie...can anyone help please...
Date: Tue, 27 Dec 2005 21:43:43 -0700

On Dec 27, 2005, at 5:54 PM, Andrew Sheridan wrote:

E281 Error
I don't seem to be able to use your Objective-C compiler to produce
working binaries!  Please check your Objective-C compiler installation.
For gcc-3.0.x make sure that your compiler's libgcc_s and libobjc
can be found by the dynamic linker - usually that requires you to add
the directory given by gcc -print-file-name=libobjc.so to your
LD_LIBRARY_PATH or /etc/ld.so.conf.
Please refer to your compiler installation instructions for more help.

You don't say what OS version you are using, nor did you include the log files. I'm guessing however that you are using the Apple gcc, not the FSF gcc. Or if you do have FSF gcc, it did not install the Objective-C library. You have to download and compile gcc from gcc.gnu.org. GNUstep can't use Apple's gcc.

(Actually, I've been able to compile, but not run, GNUstep using Apple's gcc that comes with Tiger, but that requires a few tweaks that are not included in Startup).