Re: Appkit documentation

From: Richard Frith-Macdonald
Subject: Re: Appkit documentation
Date: Mon, 5 Dec 2005 20:18:06 +0000

On 5 Dec 2005, at 20:14, Richard Frith-Macdonald wrote:

On 5 Dec 2005, at 19:39, Sašo Kiselkov wrote:

- Chapter 6 "The view concept": shouldn't capitalization in English be "The View
Concept"?

<pedantic mode>

No ... I think the current heading is correct ... the notion that words in a heading should begin with capital letters is a common misconception. It's a mistake that my wife (who makes a living as an editor) frequently gets annoyed about (she's picky about sticking to the *most* accepted convention).

Capitalisation rules in a heading/title are the same as those in a normal english sentence ... you use a capital letter on the first word and for any proper nouns.

That being said ... there is huge variation in practice, so while 'The view concept' is the best/most accepted capitalisation, that doesn't mean that other schemes are 'wrong'.

In decreasing order of use/acceptability ... you could reasonably write (all capitalised) ...
'The View Concept'
or (first and last)
'The view Concept'
or (uppercase)
'THE VIEW CONCEPT'
or (lowercase)
'the view concept'

Of course, when you get to things like
'tHe vIew cOncept'
you are obviously 'wrong' unless you are aiming to annoy.

</pedantic modde>

PS. I really was being pedantic ... the above is all true for 'English' which is what you asked about). If you actually want 'American' then a capital letter at the start of each word is the most common convention.