Windows installer idea

From: Lloyd Dupont
Subject: Windows installer idea
Date: Mon, 5 Dec 2005 10:25:33 +1000

I've loosely followed the discussion about installer for windows.
I just want to share my 2 cents.
However I'm not sure it's very relevant as I didn't read carefully previous post on the topic.

I think it's very simple, the question is: "who is this installer for"?
The (potential) answers are:
1. a developer who want to play with GNUstep
2. a developer who want to deploy GNUstep
3. a user

I think we could remove a "3" straight away. A windows user don't want to install GNUstep (or (s)he is a developer), he just want his application work. He certainly don't want to mess around with config files. This option would only work if all GNUstep version were 110% compatible (I speak code, configuration, preferences, resources, etc....) and could be found in a well defined place, searchable in the registry.

that leaves 1. & 2.

for 1: I would say a simple installer which let you choose a minimal set of option (path to install, where is MinGW (or install it)(if you prefer Cygwin, too bad, you
are in for the manual install)) and a Readme (and an Install button).
If you want heaps of option you've got to do the manual install.

for 2:
let the developer choose the package directory, copy everything in it
(that is copy the ready to be moved around dll + resources/librarires),
+ a readme explaining what to do, which should be:
- copy this directory's content where you see fit
- modify the GNUstep.conf file to point to this directory