Re: strange NSException code

From: Helge Hess
Subject: Re: strange NSException code
Date: Fri, 2 Dec 2005 00:13:17 +0100

On 1. Dez 2005, at 19:26 Uhr, Richard Frith-Macdonald wrote:
On 30 Nov 2005, at 05:15, Lloyd Dupont wrote:
Why is it that the default exception code call exit()
Because that causes the program to terminate cleanly .
Because it's what the spec/compatibility dictates.
Because there seems no other reasonable behavior.

why not let the program crahs normally?

Why do you want the program to crash? and how are you going to make it 'crash normally'? if the handler did not terminate the program, the program would try to continue ... and could do anything ... corrupt data/files, bill your customers for things you didn't deliver them etc.

I suppose the point was to call abort() instead of exit(), not to continue the program. Which seems reasonable to me (for exactly the same reason why the system calls abort() on errors instead of exit () ...).

For a regular user this would not be an issue since coredumps usually need to be enabled using ulimit.

Of course it would be extraordinarily cool if we would have a coredump catcher like GNOME, Mozilla, Windows, OSX etc which allows the user to send crash reports via mail.

Greets,
  Helge
--
http://docs.opengroupware.org/Members/helge/