Re: back problem on Solaris

From: Andreas Höschler
Subject: Re: back problem on Solaris
Date: Fri, 11 Nov 2005 23:11:06 +0100

Hello all,

I just got a response from a Sun engineer telling me that Xutf8LookupString is an addition XFree86 made to libX11 which is not yet in the Solaris libX11. My app ran on Solaris 9 with a GNUstep source tree that is a few month old. I am not aware of having installed anything differently (additional libraries), but I might be wrong here. Has anything been added to GNUstep recently that makes use of Xutf8LookupString and thus causes the problem on Solaris? I currently have no access to the machine so I can't check whether the old GNUstep source tree works on the Solaris 10 machine (will do so first thing on monday), I doubt that. The only reference to Xutf8LookupString is in ./back/Source/x11/XIMInputServer.m.

#ifdef HAVE_UTF8
      if (encoding == NSUTF8StringEncoding)
        count = Xutf8LookupString(windev->ic, event, buf, BUF_LEN,
                                  &keysym, &status);
      else
#endif

May be HAVE_UTF8 was not defined on Solaris 9 but is now on Solaris 10. Anybody already through this?

Thanks a lot!

Regards,

  Andreas

some more info regarding my problem that crashes the app (trying to get it to run on Solaris 10) when I enter text into a text field and logs

ld.so.1: /opt/GNUstep/System/Applications/SmartClient.app/SmartClient: fatal: relocation error: file /opt/GNUstep/System/Library/Bundles/libgnustep-back-010.bundle/./ libgnustep-back-010: symbol Xutf8LookupString: referenced symbol not found

Configuring back gives me

bash-3.00# ./configure --enable-graphics=art
checking for gcc... gcc
checking for suffix of executables...
checking whether gcc accepts -g... yes
checking build system type... sparc-sun-solaris2.10
checking host system type... sparc-sun-solaris2.10
checking target system type... sparc-sun-solaris2.10
checking for X... libraries , headers in standard search path
checking for gethostbyname... no
checking for gethostbyname in -lnsl... yes
checking for connect... no
checking for connect in -lsocket... yes
checking for remove... yes
checking for shmat... yes
checking for IceConnectionNumber in -lICE... yes
checking for main in -lXext... yes
checking for main in -lXmu... yes
checking for X11 function prototypes... checking for egrep... egrep
yes
checking for ANSI C header files... yes
checking for sys/types.h... yes
checking for sys/stat.h... yes
checking for stdlib.h... yes
checking for string.h... yes
checking for memory.h... yes
checking for strings.h... yes
checking for inttypes.h... yes
checking for stdint.h... yes
checking for unistd.h... yes
checking DPS/dpsclient.h usability... no
checking DPS/dpsclient.h presence... no
checking for DPS/dpsclient.h... no
checking DPS/dpsNXargs.h usability... no
checking DPS/dpsNXargs.h presence... no
checking for DPS/dpsNXargs.h... no
checking ft2build.h usability... yes
checking ft2build.h presence... yes
checking for ft2build.h... yes
checking for xft... yes
checking XFT_CFLAGS... -I/usr/openwin/include -I/usr/sfw/include -I/usr/sfw/include/freetype2 checking XFT_LIBS... -R/usr/openwin/lib -R/usr/sfw/lib -R/usr/openwin/lib:/usr/openwin/sfw/lib -L/usr/openwin/lib -L/usr/sfw/lib -L/usr/openwin/sfw/lib -lXft -lfreetype -lXrender -lfontconfig
checking for XftDrawStringUtf8 in -lXft... no
checking for XftPatternGetString in -lXft... no
checking for FcPatternCreate in -lfontconfig... no
checking fontconfig/fontconfig.h usability... yes
checking fontconfig/fontconfig.h presence... yes
checking for fontconfig/fontconfig.h... yes
checking for glXMakeContextCurrent in -lGL... yes
checking GL/glx.h usability... yes
checking GL/glx.h presence... yes
checking for GL/glx.h... yes
checking for GLX_RGBA_TYPE... yes
checking for usleep... yes
checking for X11/extensions/XShm.h... yes
checking for shmctl... yes
checking for main in -lgdi32... no
checking for main in -lmsimg32... no
checking for libart2... 2.3.16
checking for cairo... Package cairo was not found in the pkg-config search path.
Perhaps you should add the directory containing `cairo.pc'
No package 'cairo' found
checking for glitz-glx... Package glitz-glx was not found in the pkg-config search path.
Perhaps you should add the directory containing `glitz-glx.pc'
No package 'glitz-glx' found
checking glitz-glx.h usability... no
checking glitz-glx.h presence... no
checking for glitz-glx.h... no
checking Backend Server... x11
checking Backend Graphics... art
checking Backend name... back
configure: creating ./config.status
config.status: creating back.make
config.status: creating config.make
config.status: creating config.h
config.status: config.h is unchanged

I don't like the

checking for XftDrawStringUtf8 in -lXft... no
checking for XftPatternGetString in -lXft... no

part here. Could this be related to my problem?