Re: OpenOffice.org on OS X and GNUstep

From: Gregory John Casamento
Subject: Re: OpenOffice.org on OS X and GNUstep
Date: Fri, 11 Nov 2005 05:28:48 -0800 (PST)

Cody,

--- Cody Brimhall <zbrimhall@gmail.com> wrote:
<snip>
> List-
>
> Especially with regards to a project as incomplete as GNUstep.

Please quantify your assertion that GNUstep is "incomplete".   Thanks. :)

> Several of the main GNUstep packages haven't even reached a 1.0
> version, so a lot of very useful development would be missed by the
> masses if they were to wait for less frequent "jumbo" releases.

Currently the only core library package which is not at 1.0 yet are gui & back,
and it's shaping up nicely.  In my opinion they should be 1.0 now.

> Which actually reminds me of a somewhat tangental thought:  is anyone
> putting any work right now towards a graphical installer?  Wouldn't
> need to do much more than run GNUstep-Startup.  The Startup script
> greatly eased the process of installing GNUstep, but a graphical
> installer would make it all the more aproachable.

Since, by definition, someone wouldn't have GNUstep itself installed the
installer might need to rely on WiNGS or some other library with a similar
look.

> Sorry, though.  This is getting off-topic.

No problem.

> -Cody

GJC

Gregory John Casamento
-- Principal Consultant, Open Logic Corp. (A MD Corp.)
## Maintainer of Gorm (IB Equiv.) for GNUstep.