RE: attracting software developers

From: Andy Satori
Subject: RE: attracting software developers
Date: Mon, 7 Nov 2005 12:57:12 -0500

That and tools that work.

Not to be offensive, that's not my intent, but I was recently looking at
using GnuStep as an avenue to be able to use some of my Cocoa tools at work
via GnuStep.  I tried installing the dev environment on windows.  It
installs, and GORM builds and is excellent.  Of course, unless you are a
GnuStep makefile guru, it's not terribly easy, or approachable to do
development.

Further exacerbating the issue is that the installation process on Linux is
absolutely no better.  For example, I have a SUSE 9.1 box behind me.
Installed WM, GNuStep Startup, built GORM (it won't actually run, some problem
with gdomap that I haven't taken the time to resolve.  Project Center won't
build on the box, it's apparently missing a dependancy, though it's not well
reflected.  Project Center won't build on Windows at all, eaxcerbating the
issue is that the platform it's most like, it requires quite a bit of effort
to get things working there, and that's on OS X.

In short, while GNUStep has a serious cool factor, it's current installation
and dev tool process is arcane at best, unusable at worst and generally not
friendly to a new or casual developer using it, and attracting these people is
easy, retaining them is not, and when the tools are in the state that they are
currently in...  Well, I hope you get the picture.

Andy