Re: Starting apps problem

From: Robert Slover
Subject: Re: Starting apps problem
Date: Sat, 05 Nov 2005 10:05:55 -0500

Greetings,

I've seen issues like this since Solaris 8, using plain old X applications under Xvfb. Try using 'hostname:4.0' instead of ':4.0', it sometimes makes a difference. I've also had to mess around with xauth. There hasn't been much consistency to it -- sometimes the problem spontaneously re-appears after a reboot, but that happens so rarely (basically, only for major extended power outages) that I've not been able to get to the bottom of it. Also, notice that there are some hidden X-related directories created under /tmp when you start your X session. There will be one or two files for each display, IIRC one for UDP and one for TCP sessions. I've seen it happen that these are left after a reboot, so they don't get re-created, but have their file permissions changed so that the non-root user needing to start the Xvfb session on that display can't do so. Our application then has issues the first time it tries to start an X client needing to talk to that display (which might be a long time after the reboot).

--Robert