Re: Starting apps problem

From: Fred Kiefer
Subject: Re: Starting apps problem
Date: Sat, 05 Nov 2005 13:58:07 +0100

Andreas Höschler wrote:
> for many (also for newly created) users. Any more ideas what to look
> for? We will dig into the gui code some more on monday, but if anybody
> has a clue...

I would rather think that the problem is in back, not in gui. Have a
look at [XGServer _initXContext] in back/Source/x11/XGServer.m, here we
try to determine the display to use. Perhaps the logic in the code is
wrong. I would expect that in your case you would end up in the case
where XOpenDisplay is called with a NULL argument, you could add a NSLog
line which writes out the used display name or rather enable the one a
bit further down by starting your application with debug output enabled
(using the additional argument --GNU-Debug=dflt).

(... doing some more research ...)

I had a deeper look at the GNustep code and now I see a few more
possible causes for this problem. For example the method [XGServer
screenList] puts the main screen first, where as [NSImage
bestRepresentationForDevice:] expects to find a screen with its screen
number in that array. And the method [XGServer _createAppIconPixmaps]
relies on this special order of screens instead of using defscreen. And
this order does correspond to the one specified in the Apple
specification. Looks like NSImage is wrong here, it should loop over all
screens to find the one it needs. I will try to correct this and you can
give your Solaris environment another go.

Cheers
Fred