Re: Totally Gormless

From: Nicola Pero
Subject: Re: Totally Gormless
Date: Wed, 12 Oct 2005 14:53:02 +0100 (BST)

> 2) Move user_home into gnustep-base.

This is not possible because some users use gnustep-make on Apple to
compile pure Apple stuff (as an example, there are other important cases
where we need this, eg OGo/libFoundation).

Just to be more clear -- Eg, you take the source code of your GNUstep
(Linux) ObjC server, copy it on a Mac OS X machine, install gnustep-make
on Mac OS X, and you can immediately compile and run the ObjC server on
Mac OS X using Apple's FoundationKit.  Modulo some API differences, this
process does really work and is a great asset for GNUstep. :-)

At the moment I imagine the user configuration stuff doesn't work much
anywhere, but if we fix it and have it work, we obviously want to have it
work anywhere, including Apple.  Eg, if you play with your framework and
want to install it in your user directory (rather than a system one) while
you are testing and messing with it, you should be able to.  And it should
be possible to do that on Apple too, no reason why not.

So, gnustep-make needs to be able to indipendently determine the right
paths.

My feeling is that the best solution is have GNUstep.conf used in a very
simple and predictable way by both gnustep-base and gnustep-make.

Thanks