Re: web and databases

From: David Ayers
Subject: Re: web and databases
Date: Tue, 11 Oct 2005 10:26:50 +0200

Riccardo schrieb:
> is there some documentation, examples about gsweb so a user can start
> without having to dig up apple stuff?

Not that I know of, really.  You could take a look at:
http://www.gnustepweb.org/
(see Presentation) for a teaser to get started I'd suggest...

There are also some minor examples in dev-libs/gsweb/Examples but I'm
not sure how well tested they are.  I wanted to do series of examples
but simply did not have the time to follow through.

> Or is there some apple
> documentation available on web that applies well to the gnustep version?

http://developer.apple.com/documentation/LegacyTechnologies/WebObjects/WebObjects_4.5/webobjects.html

But we would very much welcome patches to add autogsdoc formated
documentation.  My personal preference would be to document the standard
API methods that are also documented in WO.  As always, write from
scratch once you understand the methods and improve on the contents
(which often is not that hard).

> I am interested in:
> - accessing databases from web pages
> - webpages themselves
> - accessing the (same) database from a gnustep application
>
> especially the latter is interesting to me to provide both a "web"
> version and a "real" application.

In this case you would want to especially look at the EOF Developers Guide:
http://developer.apple.com/documentation/LegacyTechnologies/WebObjects/WebObjects_4.5/System/Documentation/Developer/EnterpriseObjects/DevGuide/GuideTOC.html

Note that GDL2's EOInterface implementation (that is the
framework/library you need to bind NSControl's via EODisplyGroup's to
the EnterpriseObjects(EO's) in an EOEditingContext) is still very new
and I'm not sure if it is currently part of any production GDL2 based
app.  It is being used in DBModeller.app but it's not using it with the
standard DB classes.

Cheers,
David