Re: GNUSTEP and Cocoa

From: Fred Kiefer
Subject: Re: GNUSTEP and Cocoa
Date: Fri, 07 Oct 2005 19:31:39 +0200

Hi Massimo,

Massimo Esposito wrote:
> I have a MacOsX application written using GNUSTEP and Cocoa. I would
> like to port this application to a Linux machine. Is it possible
> translating Cocoa code into GNUSTEP code? And if I'd not like to port
> the GUI but only the controller and model parts, does it exist in
> GNUSTEP an equivalent set of classes that perform the same
> functionalities of the Cocoa classes?(I refer to the classes that
> doesn't implement GUI components).

porting from Cocoa to GNUstep should not be to difficult, especially if
you don't want have a user interface or are willing to recreate that in
GORM. But of course it depends on what frameworks you are using. As long
as we talk Foundation and AppKit here, you should be on the save side,
although GNUstep still misses a few of the classes introduced in the
last few releases of Cocoa. For example, we are currently still missing
the NSController class hierarchy, but this is not to hard to implement.

If you require any of the other framewokrs things could get more
complicated. For some Apple frameworks there is a free replacement, for
others none.

Translating the code should not be needed at all. What we offer should
be functional identical to Cocoa. Ok not exactly, but gaps are most
likely bugs, which should be fixed.

Hope this helps
Fred