Re: Documentation in OpenOffice format

From: Gregory John Casamento
Subject: Re: Documentation in OpenOffice format
Date: Fri, 2 Sep 2005 08:15:00 -0700 (PDT)

P.R.,

You really shouldn't compare Lyx and OOo.   They are meant for entirely
different audiences.

Lyx is meant for people who enjoy writing the raw LaTeX source (I personally
don't) and doesn't insulate you very much.  Lyx has it's own language on top of
LaTeX which must be translated into LaTeX.   So it doesn't even output
something which can be used directly by LaTeX in the first place.  Also, Lyx
lacks certain basic things which the average user would expect.  OOo on the
other hand, is a fully fledged word processor meant for people who don't want
to write code to create thier documents, i.e. 99% of the rest of the world,
myself included although I am a developer.

I've never used kile, so I have no idea how good or bad it is.

I hope this doesn't spark a my-editor-is-better-than-yours war, but I just had
to say it.   Oh, btw... emacs rocks. ;)

Later, GJC