Re: Problem with Renaissance and InstanceOf

From: Chris Meredith
Subject: Re: Problem with Renaissance and InstanceOf
Date: Fri, 5 Aug 2005 12:28:36 -0700

On Aug 5, 2005, at 2:07 AM, Sašo Kiselkov wrote:

NSProgressIndicator isn't specific to Apple - the old OpenStep specification
(from which both Cocoa and GNUstep are derived) had it too.

About the code: I'm not sure whether it's just a typo in the code you pasted,
but the window specification should be like this:

<window title="foo">
  <vbox>
    <view instanceOf="NSProgressIndicator" height="12"/>
  </vbox>
</window>

(without the trailing slash in the <window> opening tag, and the "height"
attribute value quoted)

Anyways, in the case of the "view" tag you should define both the width and
height attributes (or in some form tell the view it's width). That's because
Renaissance can't figure out the correct size of the view to fit it's contents.
Maybe something like the following will help:

<window title="foo">
  <vbox>
    <view instanceOf="NSProgressIndicator" halign="expand" height="12"/>
  </vbox>
</window>

That turned the trick nicely to get the actual progress indicator to show up.  Now, a different problem seems to have come up, in that I can't set the progress indicator's style or the fact that the progress indicator is not indeterminate.  I know Cocoa provides both a setStyle and a setIndeterminate method, and I was left under the perhaps mistaken impression that including "style" and "indeterminate" attributes would have called those methods--although, in retrospect, this sort of thing may have only worked when setting up outlets.  Short of putting code in a delegate object to set up the progress indicator, is there a way of setting its style such that it doesn't automagically default to the spinning barber pole when what I'm looking for is the rectangular progress indicator?

-C-